Set Up and Use ChromeVox
In this activity, you will navigate through a website using only a keyboard. Describe how the screen reader behaves. For a challenge, navigate with your monitor turned off (or darkened so you can’t see what you are doing). The aim of this exercise is to discover how WAI-ARIA is making elements on the page understandable by listening alone, and to introduce screen reader review into your website testing regimen.
Refer back to ChromeVox Screen Reader Install and Setup and set up ChromeVox, if you have not already.
Open the Web Accessibility Auditing Showcase website.
Navigate the homepage only with your monitor darkened and without using your mouse. Describe what the screen reader announces as you pass through the following elements:
- Left side menu
- Carousel at the top of the content area of the page
- Accordion on the right
- Tab panel in the centre of the page
- Landmarks present on the page (list them)
Also, answer the following questions:
- Are you able to navigate effectively?
- What difficulties did you experience, if any?
- What could be improved, if anything, to make navigation more effective?
|Good descriptions provided for each element listed||5.0 pts|
|Three questions answered effectively||5.0 pts|