Chapter 5: Blood Pressure
In the previous film clip, a number of measurement errors were made. It is important to ensure the following techniques:
- Perform hand hygiene before and after
- Correct cuff placement must be determined by palpating the brachial artery.
- Maximum pressure inflation must be determined before a blood pressure can be accurately taken.
- The cuff is securely fastened around the arm so that only one finger can be placed between the cuff and the client’s arm. The cuff should not be moveable.
- The stethoscope is cleansed before using.
- The client should sit still with feet placed flat on the floor while having the blood pressure taken.