Chapter 6: Knowledge Integration
Initial Assessment Data
- Biographical data: Pregnant adult client (age 32)
- Reason for seeking care: Shortness of breath at a prenatal visit
- History of health/illness: 36 weeks pregnant
- Past history: No medications, no illnesses
Vital Sign Measurements
1430 hrs, August 14, 2018
- T 37.1°C axilla
- RR 14 (shallow breathing)
- P 92 (radial), regular rhythm, 2+ force, Sp02 97%
- BP 134/90 mm Hg (right arm, sitting position)
Baseline vital signs (pre-pregnancy)
- T 36.7°C axilla
- RR 14
- P 84, regular rhythm, 2+ force, Sp02 97%
- BP 124/74 mm Hg (right arm)
Think about the client data and try to answer the following questions. Write your answers on a piece of paper.
- What needs to be considered when interpreting the vital signs findings of this pregnant client?
- Which vital sign findings are considered abnormal for this pregnant client? What medical terminology is used to define/label these findings?