Chapter 6: Knowledge Integration
1. Which vital sign findings are considered abnormal for this child? What medical terminology is used to define/label these findings?
- The temperature is high: hyperthermia or pyrexia/febrile.
- The heart rate is elevated: tachycardia.
- Sinus arrhythmia is considered normal in the pediatric population.
2. What are the healthcare provider’s actions based on these findings?
- Remove external clothing from the client (down to a diaper) to reduce fever.
- Provide cool fluids or popsicles to reduce fever.
- Promote fluid intake to reduce fever and maintain hydration.
- Ensure safety and observe the child due to the risk of febrile seizures that can occur with high body temperatures.
- Report to the most responsible provider if you are not the most responsible provider.