Chapter 5: Blood Pressure
Now that you have completed this chapter, it’s time to test your knowledge. Try to answer the following questions (you may want to review parts of the chapter before answering). Write your answers down on a piece of paper.
1. Watch and listen to the Korotkoff sounds while blood pressure is taken in audio clip 5.2. What is the systolic and diastolic blood pressure?
Audio clip 5.2: Korotkoff sounds
Alternatively, if viewing textbook as a pdf, use this link: https://www.youtube.com/embed/qj6X2nQhqyI?rel=0
2. Watch and listen to the Korotkoff sounds while blood pressure is taken in audio clip 5.3. What is the systolic and diastolic blood pressure?
Audio clip 5.3: Korotkoff sounds
Alternatively, if viewing textbook as a pdf, use this link: https://www.youtube.com/embed/5jIpNADLKHk?rel=0
3. Which one of the two images below (Figure 5.5 or Figure 5.6) demonstrates the correct way of putting the ear pieces of the stethoscope in your ears?
4. The bell of the stethoscope is best used to hear Korotkoff sounds.
5. In a blood pressure measurement of 110/70, the first number is the ________.
a. systolic pressure
b. diastolic pressure
c. pulse pressure
d. mean arterial pressure
6. A healthy elastic artery ________.
a. is compliant
b. reduces blood flow
c. is a resistance artery
d. has a thin wall and irregular lumen
7. Which of the following symptoms may be a result of orthostatic hypotension?
d. Chest pain
8. The healthcare provider assesses an older client’s blood pressure for the first time at a walk-in clinic. The healthcare provider obtains a reading of 164/84. What should the healthcare provider do first?
a. Take the client’s pulse
b. Provide education to the client
c. Inform the most responsible provider
d. Repeat the blood pressure on the other arm
9. A woman’s pre-pregnancy pulse and blood pressure are 72 bpm and 112/78. Which findings are of most concern to the healthcare provider?
a. Pulse 82 bpm and BP 108/70 at the end of the first trimester
b. Pulse 68 bpm and BP 118/82 in the first half of the first trimester
c. Pulse 90 bpm and BP 104/68 at the beginning of the second trimester
d. Pulse 90 bpm and BP 138/88 towards the latter half of the final trimester