Part 2 • Class Tutorials
Sigil (https://sigil-ebook.com) is a free, open-source app for editing ePubs that was developed by Google. An ePub is actually a compressed file with separate folders for its contents. The compressed file can be opened, edited, and saved using Sigil.
Open ePub in Sigil
- Copy the ePub file that you created in Tutorial 1.
- Launch Sigil and open the .epub file.
- Note the structure of the ePub file:
- Separate folders contain the HTML files, CSS, images, fonts, and media.
- The text is identified with HTML tags, classes, and IDs.
Style the ePub
- Using your knowledge of HTML and CSS to identify objects, apply some innovative styles to the ePub, e.g.:
- Create a text wrap by adding a “float” style to the image.
- Create a dropcap on the first paragraph using the p::first-letter selector.
Save your styled ePub and open in iBooks. Compare its appearance with the original.