6. Hiring Accessibility Staff
Activity: Create the Sharp Clothing Company’s Digital Accessibility Policy
This final activity will bring together all that you have learned in this book. Think of it as a culminating activity. A digital accessibility policy should be written as a guide that management and staff can use to understand what they need to be doing to meet the organization’s accessibility requirements.
The following is a list of potential sections for a policy document. You can start with these, add or remove sections or subsections, provide text for each section explaining the what, how, and/or who the section of the policy applies to, and organize it in a coherent way.
- Company commitment
- Accessibility committee
- Scope and responsibilities
- Authority and enforcement
- Guidelines and standards
- Website development
- Web content
- Documents and communications
- Third-party content
- Hiring equity and employment accommodation
- Training and awareness
- Digital accessibility resources
- Accessibility auditing and quality assurance
- Monitoring and periodic reviews
- Policy review
Note: Here is one possible version of the policy: Answer Key.
Join the discussion for this activity by enrolling in the Digital Accessibility as a Business Practice MOOC.
Challenge Test 9
- Described in Accessibility Awareness Requirements in Other Organizational Roles, it is important for Management to have the following accessibility related knowledge. Choose all that apply.
- Knowledge of local and relevant international accessibility related regulations
- Knowledge of accessibility policy
- Knowledge of disabilities, and associated barriers
- Document accessibility (e.g., invoices, receipts, product specifications)
- User Interface accessibility design
- Which of the following would be a typical accommodation for a person with fine-motor impairment. Choose all that apply.
- Speech recognition software
- Eye tracking hardware
- Button switch hardware
- Large-key keyboard
- Screen reader software
- Screen magnification software
- Head mouse hardware