Chapter 2 – Therapeutic Communication and Interviewing
By the end of this chapter, you will:
- Identify indicators of therapeutic communication consistent with the College of Nurses of Ontario “Therapeutic Nurse-Client Relationship” practice standard.
- Identify the role of the interview for subjective data collection.
- Apply the principles of the communication process involved in interviewing.
- Examine effective techniques of communication.
- Analyze interviewing techniques that are respectful of clients and families.
- Integrate developmental considerations into communication.
- Explain the role of cultural safety in therapeutic communication.