Chapter 1 – Introduction to Communication and Communication Theory in Nursing
- Communication refers to the sharing of information, ideas, and feelings, and is typically intended to foster mutual understanding.
- Communication involves many forms including verbal, non-verbal, and written.
- Professional communication is important to your development as a nurse.
- This chapter introduced three models of communication: the Transmission, Interaction, and Transaction Models.
- Trauma-informed, relational inquiry, and anti-racist approaches are common theoretical methods that align with nursing and therapeutic communication.