Chapter 2 – Therapeutic Communication and Interviewing
- Therapeutic communication is the foundation of the nurse-client relationship.
- Therapeutic communication is one of four standards to “establish, maintain, re-establish and terminate the nurse-client relationship” as per the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Privacy and confidentiality are important components of the client interview.
- Consider the client interview thoughtfully and use a combination of communication strategies.
- It is important to attend to the client’s developmental stage and their state of mind.