Chapter 3 – Interprofessional Communication in Nursing
- Interprofessional communication occurs between members of various professions and can also include the client/family.
- Interprofessional communication is a fundamental component of interprofessional collaboration and optimizing client outcomes.
- Several factors influence interprofessional communication, including the physical environment, context, and communication styles.
- Respectful interprofessional communication and interaction is essential to safe and effective work environments, including healthcare settings.
- ISBAR is a commonly used tool that can facilitate effective communication with other healthcare professionals.
- Awareness of one’s personal communication styles and values helps facilitate interprofessional communication.